Kilkenny Castle in Kilkenny

Kilkenny Castle is located in Kilkenny (county of Kilkenny)

Address: Castle Road, Kilkenny
Postcode:

Position on map:

Phone: 056 7704100
E-mail: john.burke@opw.ie / izabel.pennec@opw.ie

KILKENNY CASTLE stands dramatically on a strategic height that commands a crossing on the River Nore and dominates the ‘High Town’ of Kilkenny City. Over the eight centuries of its existence, many additions and alterations have been made to the fabric of the building, making Kilkenny Castle today a complex structure of various architectural styles. The original Anglo-Norman stone castle was built for William Marshal, 4th Earl of Pembroke (c.1146-1219) during the first decade of the thirteenth century. Kilkenny Castle later became the principal Irish residence of the powerful Butler family for almost 600 years. The Butler ownership began when James (c.1360-1405), 3rd Earl of Ormond, purchased the castle in c.1391, and lasted until 1967 when Arthur, 6th Marquess of Ormonde (1893-1971), presented it to the people of Kilkenny in return for a token payment of Ł50. The buildings have been in the care of the Office of Public Works since 1969, and many important programmes of archaeological excavation, conservation, and restoration have been carried out there.


Reviews

Review summary:

0.0
Rated 0.0 out of 5
0.0 out of 5 stars (based on 0 reviews)
Excellent0%
Very good0%
Average0%
Poor0%
Terrible0%

Recent reviews:

There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.

You have visited this place? Submit a new review: