Knappogue Castle & Walled Garden in Quin

Knappogue Castle & Walled Garden is located in Quin (county of Clare)

Address: , Quin
Postcode:

Position on map:

Phone: 061 360788 / 061 368103
E-mail: reservations@shannonheritage.com

Knappogue Castle was built in 1467 by Sean MacNamara, and is a magnificent example of a medieval tower house. It has a long and varied history from a battle field to a dwelling place. In 1571 the Castle became the seat of the MacNamara Clan, Earls of West Clancullen. Donagh MacNamara was a leader of the 1641 rebellion and Knappogue remained in MacNamara hands until 1659 when it was confiscated by Cromwell’s parliament and granted to a ‘Roundhead’, Arthur Smith. However after the monarchy was restored in 1670 Knappogue was returned to its MacNamara owners. The MacNamara Clan sold the castle to the Scotts in 1800 and they carried out major restoration and extension work. In 1855, it was acquired by Lord Dunboyne who continued the restoration work. In the early 20th century it served as the headquarters of General Michael Brennan and Irish Free State Army in Ireland’s fight for freedom.


Reviews

Review summary:

0.0
Rated 0.0 out of 5
0.0 out of 5 stars (based on 0 reviews)
Excellent0%
Very good0%
Average0%
Poor0%
Terrible0%

Recent reviews:

There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.

You have visited this place? Submit a new review: