The Old Market House in Dungarvan

The Old Market House is located in Dungarvan (county of Waterford)

Address: Lower Main Street , Dungarvan
Postcode:

Position on map:

Phone: 058 48944
E-mail: artscentre@waterfordcouncil.ie

This beautiful building that is now home to The Old Market House Arts Centre, has a rich and varied history. A deed of 1641 refers to ‘the courthouse’ in this area, which may be a reference to the present building. Originally it was built as a butter market, with council chambers overhead, around 1700 or possibly earlier. The building had an open arcade on the ground floor. As this area was the town centre, the markets were held in front of the building, being known as ‘Market Place’ or ‘Market Street’. The vicinity around the Market House was used for public executions. Canon Power, in his history, states that John Clancy and Edmond Hore, parish priest and curate of Dungarvan, as well as other prominent citizens were executed in the Market Place, during the occupation of the town, by Lord Inchiquin in 1642. Edmond Power was hanged from a window of the Market House in 1799 for his involvement with the United Irishmen. Our multi-purpose room ‘Seomra de Paor ‘ , located upstairs is named after Edmond Power. In 1868 the building was purchased by Robert A. Merry & Co. Ltd. as offices and stores for their grocery, wine, and spirit business. In 1984 the building was reconstructed and housed the Dungarvan Library and Museum until 1999. In the first Arts Plan for the County it was recommended that an Arts Centre be made available to assist arts development. The building hosts local, touring and national exhibitions on a year round basis. Admission is free.


Reviews

Review summary:

0.0
Rated 0.0 out of 5
0.0 out of 5 stars (based on 0 reviews)
Excellent0%
Very good0%
Average0%
Poor0%
Terrible0%

Recent reviews:

There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.

You have visited this place? Submit a new review: